Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Hardest Step

I have begun to notice (more than usual) that there are a lot of things in my life that I should do, but am so reluctant to do. The list is long and varied: clean my room, clean my car, call people I need to call, e-mail who I need to e-mail, read what I need to read, pray for what I need to pray for, work out. And the list goes on. It is hard to find a connection between them all, since they often concern different, seemingly unconnected areas of my life. The only unifying theme between all of these different activities is what I have un-creatively termed the hardest step. The hardest step is always the first step. The worst part, the most difficult moment to overcome is the very first moment. Just making myself sit down (or get up), and do what I need to do is the highest hurdle I jump over. The most frustrating part about this particular step for me is that I haven't found some clever formula or trick to overcome this step; (I don't think everything in life has a quick formulaic answer, or needs one; but I would like there to be one.) I do think that unfortunately, the only thing to do when faced with that first, hardest step is to just make yourself take it. But I could be wrong...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you man!

I especially struggle in this area when it comes to keeping in touch with people... I have making phone calls, although I usually enjoy the conversation...

How's it going man? I found your blog on facebook. Good to see someone else making the time!